Monday, August 20, 2007

Entry for August 21, 2007

I read the following,

Homeschooling

During 12 years of public school, the most encouragement he received was when an algebra teacher who failed him cared enough to tell him why. Kevin said he graduated without basic skills such as working with fractions.

That went back to a time in History, 9th grade, I think. My first semester I received a D in the class. The second, I was working on an A. My teacher took me out to the hall and asked me what was going on, why did I improve so much. I responded that history just became interesting to me and my parents were helping me out.

Looking back at it, I think he was fishing for who I was cheating off. I remember his expression changed. I'm not sure if it was relief or disbelief. I do remember only a few teachers that gave positive reinforcement. However, I did get that in grades. By 12th though I figured that I could ace anything they gave me. Since all the college entrance tests were finished, and I was already accepted, I kind of let things slide. My grades didn't go down, but I took fewer classes and I had easier ones. I had by that time taken the hardest classes in the hard sciences that they offered anyway.

That didn't mean college was easy. Nope. 1 semester--bad. Got better later. My masters degree was actually pretty easy comparatively.

No comments:

Post a Comment