Saturday, March 8, 2008

LDS depression, or What is bad journalism

When you see the above picture, what exactly are your thoughts? In the LDS context, this is meant to imply that being a member of the church causes depression. The story in question is to be found at http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4403731&page=1 and how I found out about it was at http://www.mormonapologetics.org/index.php?s=cdeffbb640a393d1701b5c484efe6b81&showtopic=33649.

Quote:
The still waters of the Great Salt Lake run deep -- and dark.

Take Wendy, a 40-year-old teacher and mother of three from Utah County. To all appearances, she led the perfect life. Just as she was expected to, she went from high school cheerleader to Mormon missionary to wife and mother.

"But life has a funny way of not being perfect," she said. "Three years into my marriage my husband was drinking, using drugs and stepping out on me. "

I don't see how there are dark waters in Salt Lake other than it implies that there is something to hide. I also don't see why it is implied that the church must somehow ensure the happiness of this person. Are they saying that because she was a missionary, she married a loser? Does the church encourage drinking, drug use and adultery?

"I knew I was depressed and needed help, but there is a stigma about depression in this area," said Wendy, who asked that ABCNEWS.com not use her last name. "People think it's a sign of weakness. It means you're not capable of being a good mother or wife or teacher."

Wendy's secret is Utah's secret. The postcard image of Utah is a state of gleaming cities, majestic mountains and persistently smiling people. But new research shows a very different picture of the state, a snapshot of suicide and widespread depression.

I think there are other contributing factors. First, if there is a stigma, it is not the church's making. Many of the Relief Society meetings have the women talking about how to cope with the pressures of the world, pressures that everyone has to deal with, regardless of religion. I don't know many women who chase after perfection. Most are trying to cope, just like my wife. BTW, my wife works for LDS Family Services. It is a function of the church and is available to every member, most of the time free of charge. I used it while attending school there because of a relationship I was in. I certainly didn't blame it on the church but because of some choices I made.

Also, Utah has a large teen population. I don't know if you were ever a teen, but that isn't a great time.

The LDS do not use alcohol. So the self-medication that is common in other parts of the country doesn't happen there. Would you want them to start boozing it up instead of going to a doctor?

At the end of the article we finally read this

"I don't think it's clear that there's a crisis in Utah," said Brent Scharman, a psychologist and the assistant commissioner of LDS Family Services, a church network that provides counseling. "You've got one camp that says there is more depression and another camp that says we just have more consumers." Scharman said studies on organized religion and depression found that religious people were generally happier than nonreligious people, and that held true for Mormons.

So, after all this, it isn't the church's fault. Mormons are happier.

"It always boils down to the issue of what influence the LDS lifestyle has on the depression phenomenon," he said. "Non-LDS and some LDS people say this is a kind of driven lifestyle and that we push too hard and smile too much. But studies show, and those living it out see, that religion is good support. It creates a positive network and helps people get through crises and deal with long-term problems.

"Are there people who feel 'I'm not living up to the LDS ideal,' or 'I'm not living up to my family's expectations'? Absolutely, there is no question. But having done counseling outside the LDS community, I saw people there, too, who were depressed because of perfectionism," he said. "I wouldn't say it is any worse here than in more diverse communities."

This article was horrible journalism.

For another response, go here. http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onionmagazine_archive_116a_web.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment