Friday, June 27, 2008

Joseph Smith was martyred on this date

On this date, June 27, 1844, Joseph Smith was killed in Carthage Jail, Carthage Illinois by members of a mob who stormed the jail.

I cannot give to words how much this man has given me. I understand how controvercial this imperfect, flawed human is, but he has let me know some of the greatest people, greatest doctrines and greatest vistas I have ever encountered or ever hope to encounter. He has opened up the atonement to me, and I am very, very grateful for that.

I remember looking up at the Christus statue at Temple Square in Salt Lake City thinking how much I have come to love the Savior. I remember two years ago standing on the campus of BYU so thankful that I could have spent some time there. It opened my eyes and my heart, the short time there. It convinced me to serve a mission, two of my most miserable years of my life, but it gave me a language, German, that I studied when I came back to BYU. In German class I met my future bride. I received my first job from a reference by LDS Employment Services. LDS Family Services employed my wife and facilitated the adoptions of my three children. Indirectly, or directly if you consider it, this man has given me the greatest joys of my life, and I cannot express enough how thankful I am to have known him, if only about reading about his life and actions.
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts. I've also done a little tribute on my blog, of course.
    http://lifeongoldplates.blogspot.com/
    I'd put it on MAD board in my sig, but I'm currently suspended ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts. I've also done a little tribute on my blog, of course.
    http://lifeongoldplates.blogspot.com/
    I'd put it on MAD board in my sig, but I'm currently suspended ;)

    ReplyDelete